Refreshing Lemon Barley Water
Barley Water is a staple in our family, it is made whenever anyone gets a sore throat or cold. We also find it very thirst quenching in the warm summer months. My kids love Barley water and are always pleased when I make it, my daughter especially loves to take it to school in her water bottle.
There are many benefits of Barley water including helping prevent formation of kidney stones, water retention in pregnant women and to help treat urinary tract infections. It may even help with reducing cholesterol and aid in clearing toxins from your stomach.
Barley is a whole grain rich in vitamin B-complex, iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese, selenium, zinc, copper, protein, amino acids, dietary fiber, beta-glucans and various antioxidants.
200g Organic Pearl Barley
1.5 Litres Water
4 Tablespoons Raw Honey (More or less depending on taste)
3 Lemons (preferably Organic)
- Rinse 200g of pearl barley under cold water
- Add the Barley and Ginger to 1.5l of boiling water, simmer for 30 minutes.
- Drain the Barley water through a sieve into a large jug. Pick out the ginger and return it to the Barley water. Tip: Keep the cooked Barley; this can be used for soups or as a cereal for breakfast with nuts and fruit.
- Into the Barley water add the honey and zest of 2 lemons.
- Stir and allow to cool.
- Once cooled add the juice of the lemons and give it a good stir.
To be drunk warm or cold. Serve with sprigs of mint and pour over ice.
Barley water can also be flavoured with other fruits such as orange or lime. Maple syrup or another sugar substitute could be used. Also cinnamon or other spices can be used to liven up the barley water.